I blogged yesterday about how pleased I was to see the BBC have made a TV show about “The Men Who Made Us Fat”. I am passionate about diet and nutrition and never more so than when it comes to what we are feeding the next generation. Jamie Oliver has done some great work with his Schools Revolution and his TED speech Teach Every Child About Food and Fight Obesity and has now shown support for a nine year old school girl who was banned from photographing her school meals.
Thankfully this ban has now been lifted and nine year old Martha Payne can continue to take the pictures and share them on her blog NeverSeconds that has received more than three million hits!
The ban was put in place when Argyll and Bute Council said press coverage of the blog had led catering staff to fear for their jobs. Council leader Roddy McCuish later told the BBC he had instructed senior officials to lift the ban immediately.
The schoolgirl’s father, David Payne, who helped her set up the blog, welcomed the decision.
Martha began publishing photographs of her Lochgilphead Primary School lunches on 30 April. She gave each meal a ‘food-o-meter’ and health rating, and counted the number of mouthfuls it took her to eat it. She had been using the blog to raise money for the Mary’s Meals charity.
But in a post published on Thursday evening, Martha said her headteacher told her not to take any more photographs for the blog. Under the headline “Goodbye“, the post stated: “This morning in maths I got taken out of class by my head teacher and taken to her office.
“I was told that I could not take any more photos of my school dinners because of a headline in a newspaper today.”
The council’s decision to impose the ban came after the Daily Record newspaper published a photograph of Martha alongside chef Nick Nairn under the headline “Time to fire the dinner ladies.”
Speaking on BBC Radio’s Good Morning Scotland programme Mr Payne said his daughter was not happy about the council’s decision.
He added: “I understand that it’s brought pressure from around the world and media interest, but that is really out of our control.
“But we are very supportive of the school – the fact that she has been encouraged to blog and she got permission to do this is testament to them.
“Everyone in the kitchens has been wonderful to Martha and she enjoys going into lunch every day.”
By Friday morning, the council’s decision had sparked a furious reaction on social media.
Local MSP Mike Russell, Scotland’s education secretary, tweeted he would be writing to the council’s chief executive in his capacity as local MSP, calling for the “daft” ban to be overturned.
Celebrity chef Jamie Oliver tweeted: “Stay strong Martha” before urging his 2.3 million followers to retweet the message.
Argyll and Bute Council later issued a statement defending its position and claimed media coverage of the blog had led catering staff to fear for their jobs.
It added: “The photographic images uploaded appear to only represent a fraction of the choices available to pupils, so a decision has been made by the council to stop photos being taken in the school canteen.
“There have been discussions between senior council staff and Martha’s father however, despite an acknowledgement that the media coverage has produced these unwarranted attacks, he intimated that he would continue with the blog.”
Cleland Sneddon, the executive director of community services at Argyll and Bute Council, told the BBC that school catering staff had been left “in tears” by press coverage.
However, Mr McCuish later told the BBC Radio 4’s World at One programme that he had instructed senior officials to lift the ban immediately.
He said: “It is a good thing to do, to change your mind, and I have certainly done that.”
Mr McCuish said he had not yet been able to inform Martha of the lifting of the photo ban, but had a meeting arranged with her father next Thursday to discuss “a way forward”.
In a BBC interview Martha’s father said he was really pleased for his daughter that ban had been lifted.
He added: “She will look forward to being able to take her photographs of her food and writing about it as she has done so far.”
Publicity caused by the ban helped the schoolgirl smash through her £7,000 fundraising target for the Mary’s Meals charity – with total pledges of more than £30,000 being made by Friday afternoon.
The total stood at only about £2,000 on Thursday evening.
A Mary’s Meals spokesman said: “We are overwhelmed by the huge response to her efforts today which has led to so many more people donating to her online donation page.
“Thanks to this fantastic support, Martha has now raised enough money to build a kitchen in Malawi for children receiving Mary’s Meals as part of our Sponsor A School initiative and has broken the record for hitting a Sponsor A School online fundraising target in the quickest amount of time”.
Among the pictures Martha published on her blog was one featuring her £2 lunch of a pizza slice, a croquette, sweetcorn and a cupcake.
Martha wrote: “I’m a growing kid and I need to concentrate all afternoon and I can’t do it on one croquette. Do any of you think you could?”
Year Without Beer
Your sponsorship is really important to these 2 charities and is the reason I continue with my year without beer and the writing of this Blog. Please support my Year Without Beer by donating to one of these fantastic causes:
- To donate to Cancer Research UK please click here to visit my just giving page or donate by text – send AYWB66 and the amount to 70070. For example, texting “AYWB66 £5″ will donate £5.
- To donate to the Cystic Fibrosis Trust please click here to visit my just giving page or donate by text – send AYWB55 and the amount to 70070. For example, texting “AYWB55 £5″ will donate £5.